Thursday, December 9, 2010

RAVANA PUTHRI

Prologue

Ramayana is a wonderful epic from 8th Century BC that enthralled generations of people all over the world. In India itself we have more than 50 different versions of Ramayana existing. The greatest quality of this captivating work is that one can keep re- interpreting it for ever. All the regional variations of Ramayana are considered sacred in spite of the interpolations and variations. It is interesting to see that most of the commonly highlighted incidents are interpolations by the Bhakti Movement writers. Thematically, the epic explores the tenets of human existence and the concept of dharma.

The major sources of this play are different versions of Ramayana like; Kamba Ramayana in 11th century A.D. by Tamil poet Kambar, Ramcharitmanas in16th century A.D by Tulsidas, Adhyathma Ramayana kilippattu by Ezhuthachan17th Century AD. etc.

This play has drawn inspirations from all these regional variations of Ramayana. We have also used the space within, kept by the great poet Valmiki to re-invent this epic. This could be looked as an attempt to expose the built in potential of this great epic to accommodate new versions of stories.

**********************************************************************

Raavan Puthri

Raavan : HAHAHAHAHA…! At last we have succeeded in bringing to our land the much awaited joy and happiness…

Kumbhkarna: Stop this insolent laughter…I cannot join you in your selfish and heinous

deeds. It prevents me from laughing with you.

Indrajith : Father, we have supported you in all your deeds. But this deed…. it will definitely defile our kingdom and its reputation… I should say you…you are alone….father

Raavan : Raavan has ten heads and I hope you have sense enough to remember at least that. My people know me well…. and I will not fail them. All decisions of Raavan are for the larger interests of this land.

Kumbhkarna : Is this same TEN HEADED Raavan who has committed such an ugly and heinous deed?

Raavan : Stop this nonsense Kumbhakarna. You spend most of your time in worthless slumber and you do not have any moral rights to question me like this.

Indrajith : Then pray what glory have you brought to our land by this GREAT DEED of yours, you tell us.

Raavan : Indrajith…. you are my brave son, heir to the throne of Lanka. It is for the same reason that I have given you some responsibilities of Lanka. But Indrajith, it doesn’t mean you can question my deeds…you are not grown enough to do that…….

S.D

Raavan : Mandodari…..My love…..you too suspect me inspite of your knowledge about all my thoughts and deeds……! You know…. from the time I rescued this land from the lecherous, tyrant king Kuberan…I never allowed my personal interests to play any role in my decisions for my country. It was always the interests of the people that influenced me in my decisions….welfare of Lanka has been my priority and my dream……

Mandodari……I was never so sad before…. even when I had to chase my own father out of this land………!

Mandodari : My Lord, I have never doubted your deeds…! From the day of our wedding I have been with you….. Always…. like a shadow……..I know my lord that Lanka is a passion and a priority you have above everything else... Then how can I think of such silly things. …..You are my God…… and….. my gods are always infallible.

Raavan : It is this……only this relentless support and encouragement that gives me the fire to fight... it gives me real courage and confidence…

Sc.II

SD

Soorppankha: Sita…I know the reason for your sadness….

You are sad because you are away from your beloved Rama…

It cannot be the inconveniences of this place that makes you so sad….

Because….because… my brother Raavan loves and cares for you so much I know...

Sita : Love…! Who is capable of loving me… like my Sri Ram Chandra….!

Soorppankha: Yes…..?..Reallly…?

Is he so noble a person..?…Tell me..! ..What are the high qualities of your great Sri Ram Chandra……?

SD (Dance)************************************************************

Hanuman : Sita Devi…. This is Sri Ram disciple Hanuman……I’m from a place called Kishkkindha …near this Lanka…We people from Kishkkindha are all assisting Sri Ram in his attempt to save you Sita Devi from this confinement….

Sita : Where are they now………Dear Sri Ram Chandra and brother Lakshman…..How is my dear Sri Ram Chandra….!

Hanuman : Be assured ….the great army of Sri Ram Chandra is nearby…In no time we will kill this Raavan and rescue Sita Devi and Lanka from the terror of Raavan….

SD

Sita : Hanuman …….It is dangerous to linger here too long…..!...Go………!

Raavan : HANUMAN…..! Hahaha……..

We welcome you to this land of BLACKS…..UNTOUCHABLES…and ...THE DEPRIVED………

Hanuman : Raavan….. It is good to see you have a wonderful understanding of your own self and your people here too….self realization…..!

Raavan : The very same people they sent you here are the ones labelled us untouchables and deprived. The people waiting to attack Lanka are the new representatives of the people who enforced darkness upon us….

Hanuman…you do not realize that you are mere puppets in their hands. At the end you too will have to rest like puppets in a corner.

You should not be the obedient dogs wagging tails to those hypocrites/liars.

Please do take a look at the history…..

Recognize your identity…..

Acknowledge your individuality………….

Hanuman : You are going to pay dearly for this….Raavan…We will pound you to death…..TEN HEADS and your KINGDOM…!

Raavan : Who is interested in this Lanka……?

For Raavan the whole life was a long struggle…to save …..Lanka…

from slavery, ignorance and isolation. Whatever I have achieved, whatever Lanka achieved were all out of sheer hard work….and ..here..now...no body would take note of it…. as it is in this land… of Darkness…….Your masters are blocking the sun too… to keep us ever.. in darkness……NOW…snatching away even.. the last lingering light means……!

Hanuman : It is hard for me to understand…I have only one head…..!

Raavan : Tell your Ram that we may be black in complexion but certainly not cowards in nature …For the dignity and pride of Lanka I am ready to fight any one…YES ANYONE… as long as my people support me…..

SD

Indrajith : My father is the ten headed, great warrior, the one who lifted the whole of Lanka from famine and poverty to the present state….But….But …I do not understand why he brought this beautiful Sita here. (Pause)

Wow……No wonder……Who can resist such a temptation like this…!

“I’m young and energetic……….!”

Sita : YOU,. you are going to rule this land tomorrow…..!Shameful…! One who doesn’t even know how to behave properly to women….

Indrajith : The females I’m in touch with never complained anything like that…..

SD

Sita : Move away you brute…..You will pay a huge prize for this…..!

SD

Ravan : INDRAJITH……!

Is this the way you behave with women…..!

Indrajith : If you can abduct a woman….I think…I am justified in what I did…..

Raavan : Mind your words …….Indrajith...

Indrajith : Then tell us why did you abduct the wife of your enemy….?

Raavan : You are forcing me to reveal something I kept as a secret all these years… Indrajith….this beautiful lady in front of you is my own daughter ……..your sister….

Sita : No…. Impossible ….I don’t believe this…no... stop this nonsense …How dare you talk like this……. ….I’m born in a noble family….then…how am I YOUR, AN UNTOUCHABLE’S. daughter…?

Raavan : Who made this Stupid divide of Noble and Ignoble……. Sita…..My daughter….

you know the truth….and your Rama also knows this…Why then my daughter, you still hesitate to be with us ………….Why do you want to be with our enemies ……..

Sita : No…….I’m noble Sri Ram Chandra’s wife …..born in noble Janaka’s family ..This is a lie I won’t believe this……..(exit)

Raavan : Indrajith now do you understand your father….or do you still think I have abducted her….

Indrajith : Forgive me father…I admit……...I failed to understand you…….

Raavan : There are so many Sri Ram Chandra’s in the world and they will not hesitate to cross the sea to use violence….to abduct our Sitas ….but….. We cannot let her go...at any cost….we should fight…..

Indrajith : Father…she is our Princess and Prince Indrajith’s sister and she will not be taken away from Lankan soil as long as I am alive.

Soldier : Your highness, they have insulted Lanka…..They have insulted your Highness’ sister Soorppanakha……Ram and Lakshman have molested and abused her.

Raavan : Their army is much bigger than we think….I know ….but the confidence of mind is more powerful than the weapons one use. Indrajith…you are Raavan’s son …courageous, powerful and confident …Go prove you are a powerful son of Lanka….you will win….. my son…!

Indrajith : I will father…! I will show them we Lankan’s are powerful and value honour more than anything.

ACT III

Raavan : My Daughter…!

Sita : I don’t fall for your madness, your sentiments…!

I am Sri Ram Chandra’s wife…..You know…….

Raavan : I know Ram better than you….I suppose. I know exactly why he has married you….and why he is now on a mission to rescue his wife.

My daughter…….. Their aim is to destroy this world of comfort and prosperity.. Please do realize the fact that you are being made a scapegoat for them to achieve their goals.

Sita : You better be aware of what you are speaking. My Sri Ramchandra is not far away….!

Raavan : You are mesmerized by the glamour and luxury of their world. You’ve changed a lot….to such a ridiculous extent…. that you don’t even recognize your father……

Do keep in mind my daughter……you are nothing but a pawn in their hands. Once they feel you are of no more use to them..I’m sure they will kick you out ……

Soldier: Highness..! brother Vibheeshan switched sides and is now with our enemy Ram! Our strategic locations are all known to the enemy now!

Raavan : Vibheeshan …you have betrayed your own countrymen… to the same people they made us untouchables and deprived lot…how could you do this..!

Traitor…!

SD

Soldier : Your Highness…….we lost our prince…Ram has killed Indrajith in the battle ………….

Raavan : My son……..

Sita : Hey Raavan now I find all your 10 heads cowed with fear…..I warned you you cannot get away with all this mess…My beloved Sri Ram Chandra is here and the Lanka that you have built from scratches are going to crumble down because of your foolish deeds.

Your foolishness will push this land into oblivion forever…only moments you have before you die…Your written fate is to die in the hands of Sri Ram Chandra…

Raavan : Foolishness……….my foolishness isn’t it..?

The injustice we‘ve suffered so far…

The insult we had to put up with so far….

The slavery we have been through….

Have you forgotten all these things…?

You have changed a lot…..

You speak like the enemies of Lanka. But I am sure they know well the whole story, your mother…I….your birth….everything.

You have conveniently forgotten your past.

You….now you pray for your father’s death.

This Raavan can not think so selfishly like you.

I taught my countrymen the value of dignity, and self esteem.

I gave them courage and confidence to stand up and fight for their cause.

I brought back to Lanka the lost glory and power.

Is it the sum total of all these that you call blunder….

Like you I could not forget the past

I could not ignore my people…and that’s my blunder…

My daughter…whatever we have here today in Lanka is earned by continuous fight. My life was full of struggles and wars…now what do you want your father to do….surrender all this self esteem and dignity at the feet of these exploiters and opportunists and die by their sword….No….. That is something Raavan cannot think of. Since you do not want to be a part of us...Go…! Now you can go back to Sri Ramachandra. I do not consider it as a surrender to Ram…but as a gesture where a father willingly accepts failure for the sake of a daughter…

Let history portray Raavan as a coward or a selfish ruler…What matters most for Raavan is not what history says but what he could do for his people while he was alive

But keep in mind …when these opportunists disown you this father won’t be there to take care of you….

Lay down my life in front of Ram would be a huge failure. That will annihilate all the budding Raavans in Lanka. We need more Raavans to fight as there will be more Raams to cross the sea and reach this Lanka.

…..Ten headed Raavan never failed in his life and hence the death also should be a victory for him…

This is my design to be victorious……..

SD **********************************************

Now…… in this moment Raavan is taking a decision. A decision that will uphold the pride and honour of this land. A decision that acknowledges all the pain and struggle Lanka underwent so far. We Lankans do value our dignity more than anything. It will be a shame to the whole Lankans if Ram destroys this land. We have sacrificed quite a lot to build this Lanka. The pain and suffering, the loss and sacrifice of Lankans….. Raavan the emperor of Lanka can not leave this land into the hands of these foreigners…these usurpers……Fight for dignity…..die for honour…..

A true warrior knows death is just a shadow lurking behind always. I am not afraid of this shadow… and at this moment for me it is honour and dignity that matters……..

Fight…..the army of Raam……I’m getting the thrill of it already…….

Raam……….!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hw dare you

Anonymous said...

full of absurdity

Anonymous said...

nice thought.....keep it up......

Powered By Blogger